Saturday, January 24, 2009

Strengthening the Family

Well, it's me. The blog that you always pass by because it usually says -"last update- one month." So not to disappoint or ruin my reputation- here I go again. The year has been great so far! We've had fun as a family with game nights (it's no nice when the kids get old enough to play) we got to visit family in Provo and kiss my nephews' cute chubby faces, last night we took the kids on the front runner again to Salt Lake but then had to take trax to the Huntsman Center at U of U campus. Never again! Frontrunner's OK but Trax on the other hand- let's just say we were quite entertained and when we got back Zac informed his grandparents that he met 15 Hobo's. Our kid's also made the comment on the way back that they reaffirmed their committment that they were never going to touch drugs or alcohol! One lady had a conversation with Hailey about Human Development and why kids spill milk all the time. She intently listened with eyes wide open. The train was making some funny "gassy" noises and Brooklyn said- "The train TOOT-TOOED" We watched the Lady Ute Gymnasts compete against Washington. They were amazing!!!!! The kids were in giddy awe. I can see why the Utes are ranked 3rd in the nation. AWESOME!!! It was a great experience though the $5 hamburgers weren't that great.
So Wes and I started taking the Strengthening the Family class on Thursday nights in our ward. It was been such an edifying, thought provoking, and life changing experience and so I encourage everyone to take this class when asked by their Bishop or ask about taking it. I come away every week with a desire to be a better parent. During the week I am more mindful of my tone, my words, how I interact emotionally and physically with my children, how they feel, and well- just everything! I have been more mindful of my weaknesses and the desire to ask Heavenly Father -daily- for the things I need to work on and then praying for guidance on how to help my children with the things that they need help on. I hope that I can continue to have these desires and put them into action when I'm through with this class.
Well, dad had surgery on his hernia, Grandma Smith had surgery on her gall bladder the same day, and then when dad got his stitches out he was walking around the hospital waiting for my mom and saw Grandma Childers in a hospital room because she slipped and fell on the ice and broke her wrist, and then last week my sister in law Natalie had surgery to blast a kidney "boulder" and take it out. I hope everyone gets better soon- and please- no more hospital visits people! We look forward for Cherisse and their family to visit us the end of this month-to participate in the blessing of Baby Lucy. Yea!

No comments: